JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

vandita24x7
Q) THREE TRUCKS A,B,C are used for transporting wheat and rice. The
following information is given

a) If A carried wheat, then B carried rice

b) If A carried rice, then C carried wheat

c) If B carried wheat, then C carried rice

Which truck always carried the same thing?

a) A        b) B        c) C

HOW TO SOLVE SUCH A PROBLEM??

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

Masterpiece
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

vandita24x7
no but the correct answer is B...... pls Amit Sir help!

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

Nag27
OK here's my logic to the answer:

When A carries wheat, B carries rice as per condition (a). It isn't defined what C carried in such a situation (since neither is A carrying rice not has B carried wheat).

When A carries rice, C carried wheat as per condition (b). Now, for B to carry wheat, C should have been carrying rice as per condition (c). But it is carrying wheat, hence B did not carry wheat, and the only other option was for it to carry rice.

So B carries only rice in all scenarios.

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

vandita24x7
Nag27 I still don't follow ur explanation... pls help!

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

arsh
Hi

there are 2*2*2 possible cases. as each a,b and c can carry w(wheat) or r(rice).
we have to find all the plausible cases and from them determine which truck was carrying the same thing.
NOTE:"if a carried wheat then b carries rice" implies that c can carry wheat or rice.
let xxx be what a,b and c are carrying espectively
1.www cant be as when a is w, b is carrying r
2.rrr not poss since wen a is r then c is w
3. wwr not poss since wen a is w, b is r
4.rwr   POSSIBLE
5.rww  not poss since wen b is w then c is r
6.wrw POSSIBLE
7.wrr POSSIBLE
8.rrw POSSIBLE

so truck b is always carrying rice.

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

Sinistral
i think 4th (rwr) is also not possible. because if A is carrying rice => C should carry wheat
---
 "You don't have to believe in God, but you should believe in The Book." -Paul ErdÅ‘s

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

arsh
Thats correct. my bad :)

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

maahi
please help me with d following questions 1,27,33,34,35,36

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

maahi
more problems : 62  63  78 79 93 94  91

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

Nitschk22
Transporting grains need a perfect and quantity check as well. Hired one of the famous logistics services Dallas to export some jewels to the client. Was first worried about the safety but my business partner was quite sure about their honest and loyal classifications. Will definitely avail their services for all of my orders from now.

Re: JNU 2012 LOGIC QUESTION

deepshika1
arsh wrote
Hi

there are 2*2*2 possible cases. as each a,b and c can carry w(wheat) or r(rice).
we have to find all the plausible cases and from them determine which truck was carrying the same thing.
NOTE:"if a carried wheat then b carries rice" implies that c can carry wheat or rice.
let xxx be what a,b and c are carrying espectively
1.www cant be as when a is w, b is carrying r
2.rrr not poss since wen a is r then c is w
3. wwr not poss since wen a is w, b is r
4.rwr   POSSIBLE
5.rww  not poss since wen b is w then c is r
6.wrw POSSIBLE
7.wrr POSSIBLE
8.rrw POSSIBLE

so truck b is always carrying rice.
Ohh this is actually brilliant. Checking the combinations is something I did not think of.
I have been seeing a lot of these question in UPSC general knowledge section. Could you please tell me a few more hacks like these so that it can help me in the exam?
Where did you learn this method from?
Did you attend a coaching class?
Please let me know!