JNU v/s MSE

Econ1995
Which one is better for someone who is equally inclined towards research and placements?

Re: JNU v/s MSE

econgirl
JNU anyday.... it's better in terms of course curriculum , faculty , research prospects , and I've heard that it's fairly easy to even get a job outside because of brand name... JNU is better reputed anyday

Re: JNU v/s MSE

ManpreetDeconomist
agree with Econgirl(nice name)..

I think JNU (sis specifically) .. would be very good in terms of potential opportunities...

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Halflife
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Econ17
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

ManpreetDeconomist
lol... yaa..

but then... if you did get selected for JNU... then the fact that almost all of your class is female would seem very good eh halflife?? xD ;) haha . [Isn't that how perspective works huh??!]

we'll just have to wait (and hope?) till tomorrow I guess :D

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Halflife
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

ElPsyCongroo
Isn't MSE better in terms of placements?

Of course if research enters anywhere in your utility function then JNU will outrank MSE.

JNU is definitely more prestigious than MSE.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Econ1995
I do care about placements but at the same time don't want to compromise on course work. Do you really think it would be difficult for an Economics post grad to get a job ? why just be dependent on college for that

Re: JNU v/s MSE

econgirl
Exactly... an Econ student , irrespective of the college can always get more opportunities , doesn't necessarily have to be through the placement cell only... isn't that why we have alumni connections and all that are in place ? When u get an opportunity to study in a prestigious institute , I don't think you should compromise on that...

Re: JNU v/s MSE

ElPsyCongroo
I wasn't referring to on-campus placements only, but also in terms of off campus employability.

JNU is definitely the more prestigious institution, hands down the better choice if you're interested in becoming an academic.

If you're a 100% on the private sector though, even in terms of off-campus opportunities (and I mean in the corporate sector, not think thanks and such), I don't think JNU can get you as far as say, graduating in FE from MSE? Even going by the course structure I do not think JNU is too industry oriented.

I've only heard this on forums though, don't know anyone studying Econ in JNU.

I don't mean to say it'll be very hard to "get a job" after graduating from JNU though, just that's I don't think it's usually something people very interested in getting into the private sector look towards.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Asd1995
WTF 90%???????!?!?!!??!!?

Lol education is becoming a joke day by day

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Halflife
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Asd1995
There's discrimination on religious grounds too?

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Halflife
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Asd1995
Let's not go into blaming things, we all know what is the elephant in the room, I have been dealing with it since JEE. But its kind of appalling that in addition to caste based reservation, which most of us have made peace with, there's religious+gender discrimination. That's a little tough to absorb.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Halflife
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Asd1995
I remember in 12th the cutoff for INAO (Indian National Astronomy Olympiad) was different for every state/UT, and they had to pick atleast 2 people from each state. I got in as 2nd ranked person from my state with a score of 163/240.

Some smart guy went to Andaman and Nicobar Islands to give the test and cleared it scoring 11/240 LMAO.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Halflife
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: JNU v/s MSE

Rajesh
In JNU, last year they mentioned girls quota in prospectus, this year they didn't I think..Did they?
12