IGIDR Preparation 2013

Prerna Rakheja
Hi Prerna,

I understand the syllabus for Msc progrm in IGIDR also includes an additional paper on math at the UG level. Could you please let me know what could be asked in this section as the aspirants will be from varying backgrounds. How does one prepare for this part of the test? Please guide me.

Janaki

For all those who have similar questions, please refer to the below:

Regrading preparation for maths definitely polish your high school mathematics. Apart from that you should look into Alpha Chiang, Simon and Blume, Michael Hoy. Also brush up on a bit of real analysis (you never know what they might ask!) along with statistics and probability for which you can refer to Degroot and Freund. Give the ISI and DSE PHD qualifier exams a try for probability and statistics. Nevertheless the paper will be objective so it's always relatively easier to work with options - that's a breather.

For economics do the varian workbook from cover to cover. For more sophisticated presentation of graduate topics you can refer to Microeconomic Analysis by Hal Varian and Branson for Macroeconomics.

Considering the fact that the IGIDR syllabus for MSc in economics is highly focused on the econometric application of various topics, and includes learning various softwares. I would recommend brushing up on under graduate level econometrics.

Please post any further related doubts here and encourage creation of Public Good :)

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Shivani
Hi Prerna,

Hope you are doing well.

When I saw the last year's IGIDR sample paper, I found a lot of English and logic questions too. Yes, as far as Maths is concerned, as you said, High School Maths is good enough but could you please also tell all the aspirants how to prepare for English and Logic?

Thanks a lot!

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

janaki
Shivani, could you please share the last year's IGIDR paper? for the benefit of all aspirants?

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

janaki
Prerna,
Could you please let me know the weightage of the math, english, logic and UG math in this yr's IGIDR paper?

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Prerna Rakheja
Hi Shivani,

You can refer to any basic book which aids on preparation for CAT to get a flavour of basic logic and english sections, they are very general and straight forward. Considering they have changed the pattern this year I doubt that such questions will appear in the exam.

I suggest you focus on solving problems and the paper will be a cake walk.
VR

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

VR
Hi Prerna,
Thanks a lot for help.
 could u plz tell ,will the paper for economics's students  also contain the maths and stats?

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Amit Goyal
Administrator
Y:
Please refer the following link: http://www.igidr.ac.in/newspdf/advt2013.pdf

Its clearly stated in this file that:
"The written test for both M.Sc. and M.Phil./Ph.D. will emphasize general aptitude,
analytical ability and mathematical skills at appropriate levels. In addition M.Sc. students will
have the option of answering a section either on Economics or Mathematics at the
undergraduate level."

So, prepare for both Economics and Mathematics.
VR

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

VR
 Thanks a lot sir for clearing confussion.

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Srabashi
Hey Prerna,
Can you suggest the kind of preparation that will be required for the M.Phil entrance exam?
Thanks.

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Amit Goyal
Administrator
Hi Srabashi

Fortunately, this file contains answer to your question as well: http://www.igidr.ac.in/newspdf/advt2013.pdf
Please read it.

Amit

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Shivani
Thanks a lot Prerna!

So do you mean that this time there won't be any Logic and/or English ?
VR

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

VR
sir,  could  u plz tell ,do we have to also cover economectrix too for  IGIDR?

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Nitesh
Can you please share the sample paper. It will be a great help.

  Thank you

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

Megha02
Prerna,

Thanks a lot for your guidance on reference books. I would like to know whether both Math and Economics section are to be attempted compulsorily or is there a choice between the two. Also, for Economics, could you please tell me what topics are included? Is it same as what B.A. Economics student studies over 3 years?

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

anjali
Hi prerna,
I will be opting for Economics in 3rd section.  will it cover econometrics too?

And for basic maths in section 2, do i need to prepare calculus?
is rs aggarwal for quantitative aptitude sufficient for maths?

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

janaki
What does Bachelor Ancillary level Math include? Could you please throw some light on it and suggest books for reference?
ani

Re: IGIDR Preparation 2013

ani
Well I m of stat background... which kind of question I gonna face in d interview...can please anyone help me??