Problem Code: 210609MATH

Amit Goyal
Administrator
Suppose that a box contains one fair coin and one coin with a head on each side. Suppose that a coin is selected at random and that when it is tossed three times, a head is obtained three times. Determine the probability that the coin is the fair coin.

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

nidhi
ans. 1/9

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

nidhi
 sorry..same question had already been replied . i didnt notice

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

Amit Goyal
perfect

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

PRANAVjain
HOW THE PROBABILITY COMES OUT TO BE 1/9?
P(F/3 HEADS)=P(F n 3 HEADS)/P(3 HEADS)
{n MEANS INTERSECTION}

IS THIS THE WAY TO SOLVE IT?

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

duck
hi pranav, it can be solved in the following way>>

let, Fair coin be "F"
unfair coin be "U"
and 3 heads be "3H"

P(F)=1/2 , P(U)=1/2

P(3H/f)=1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

P(3h/U)=1*1*1= 1

NOW,
P(F/3H)= P(3H/F)* P(F)
            --------------
             P(3H/F)* P(F) + P(3H/U)* P(U)

           =     (1/8* 1/2)
             ---------------
            (1/8*1/2)+ (1*1/2)

          =1/9

:)

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

Amit Goyal
Administrator
Perfect answer Nidhi

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

duck
Thanku Sir :)
:)

Re: Problem Code: 210609MATH

PRANAV JAIN
THANX NIDHI...MAY I KNOW FROM WHICH COLLEGE U R and wat u r doing?I THINK U CAN HELP ME A LOOOOTTTT...SERIOUSLY AND I NEED UR HELP TOO...THOU ITS BEING MY SELFISH MOTIVE HERE(lol) BUT STILL I THINK U WONT SAY no...
reply me soon...waiting...

MSQE 2006 MICRO

priyanka p
a price taking firm makes machine tools Y using labor and capital according to the production function Y=K^0.25 L^0.25.  Labor can be hired at the beggining of every week while capital can be only hired at the beggining of every month. 1 onth is long period and 1 week is short period.the wage rate per week and rental rate of capital per month are both 10. given info, find short run and long run cost functions of firm. 2nd part-- what is the long run profit maximising no. of machine tools? how many units of labor and capital should the firm hire at the beginning of january?

Re: MSQE 2006 MICRO

Amit Goyal
Administrator
Assuming one month has 4 weeks:
Short-run Cost function(w, r, K, Y) = w(Y^4)/(K)  + (rK)/4
Given that w = r = 10, Short-run Cost function(K, Y) = 10((Y^4)/(K)  + K/4)
Notice that rental rate of capital(r) is 10 per month and wage rate(w) is 10 per week.
Long-run Cost function(w, r, Y)* = 2((w(r/4))^0.5)(Y^2) = ((wr)^0.5)(Y^2)
*This is long run cost per week.
Given that w = r = 10, Long-run Cost function(Y) = 10(Y^2)
Profit maximizing no. of machine tools produced in a week = (p/20) where p is the per-unit price of machine tools
No. of labor units = (p^2)/(800)
No. of capital units = (p^2)/(200)

Re: MSQE 2006 MICRO

priyanka p
thank you sir

Re: MSQE 2006 MICRO

priyanka p
but sir i didnt understand the long run funcyion, why we took 2 in the beggning